How do I use the PDF to book templates?
Working with templates
Once you have launched the correct templates, it’s time to design your book.
- You can use images, vectors graphics and text throughout your book.
- Remember to ensure your image files are print quality (ideally 300dpi).
- Your content pages template has at least 26 pages. If you wish to have more pages, you can directly launch a template with the equivalent page number. Or, if you want to increase the number of pages during the layout process, you can add more pages in groups of 4 pages up to the maximum allowed for your book type. For more information on max. page numbers of books look here.
- The first content page of your book will be a single page on the right; the last page in your book will be a single page on the left.
- The templates include an info layer detailing the bleed, trim and recommended design areas. This will be removed automatically when you export using the Bob Books presets.
Bleed area / media box: The red frame on the outside of the design area is the bleed. The whole document including the bleed is called media box. All images that fall outside media box will not appear in the product. All images that you wish to appear as full bleed in your book should fill the bleed area to the edge of the media box.
Final size / trim box: The final size or trim box is defined by the edge between the red and grey boxes. The cutting position can vary from this within a production tolerance of 3mm.
Design Area: To ensure that text or important parts of your design are not cut, please check that they fall within the white place holder within the design area. Objects within the grey area are placed close to the edge of the cover and may not be fully visible on the printed book. The darkly grey coloured box on the cover gives a preview of the crease zone.
- With all our hardback books the content pages have a 3mm bleed and the cover has a 10mm bleed.
- Fonts must be embedded as a complete typeset or transformed to vector curves. When you apply the Bob Books preset, the fonts will be embedded correctly.